Zojila tunnel in Ladakh
Zojila tunnel in Ladakh is very important for round the year connectivity via road. NHIDCL opened the bid on Friday to finalize the tender issuing process. MEIL won the bid to construct the Zojila tunnel in Ladakh.
The undertaking of Zojila tunnel in Ladakh to be built in two phases and in two sections of around 32 kms.
- The bid for the venture which might be constructed in two sections of about 32 kms, has been received by the Megha Engineering.
- The first part will contain the development of an around 18 km highway. The second part ina shape of a horseshoe of 14.15 km Zoji La tunnel as a two-lane street of around nine-meter width and an eight-meter height.
- In phase 2, the development will embody a 15 km lengthy tunnel together with the above particulars relating to the tunnel.
- Even, airflow cavern, three shafts can even be constructed. Two different shafts referred to as the Longitudinal Airflow System will then come up, together with a particular transport airflow system.
- The highway from Srinagar to Ladakh remains blocked from the month of November to April and it isn’t appropriate for vehicle pass during snowy and chilling winter. Also, the army automobiles are unable to maneuver underneath these circumstances.
- The venture, during which MEIL has to turn into L-1, might be constructed from the Z-Morh tunnel to Zoji La tunnel from Sonamarg to Kargil on NH 1 within the ZojiLa region.
- This mission of building the Zojila tunnel in Ladakh is the most complicated one. The development of this tunnel will come up dealing with unprecedented difficulties, mentioned MEIL.
- The Border Roads Organisation has determined to enhance the highway passing amenities to all commuters passing through the Ladakh road via Kashmir.
- As a part of this project, a freeway tunnel can even be constructed from Srinagar to Baltal, which can enhance the Amaranth Yatra of the pilgrims. Baltal base camp close to Kargil is used for Amarnath yatra.
- A two-lane highway with bi-directional vehicle passable must be constructed on the ZojiLa path, which might be a single tube tunnel. The highway will consist primarily of shafts in addition to portal buildings and excavated areas. This complicated venture must be finished in simply 72 months, Director of MEIL stated.
- The primary half will contain widening the prevailing highway from Morha to ZojiLa tunnel of around 3 kilometers.
- The Zojila tunnel in Ladakh needs to be developed at around 690 mtrs under the floor. The venture can also be within the most complicated hill terrain where snowstorms are a daily function. As there’s dense snow for not less than eight months annually, the execution is not going to be simple, mentioned MEIL.
- What makes it much more difficult is the fast-flowing river adjoining to the proposed venture site. These circumstances might create extreme issues with water and ice pouring throughout the development period.
- Around 14 kilometers a new highway might be developed. Of this, one of many twin tour tunnels, one 2.3 km and the opposite one is 2.4 km, and also will consist of 5 bridges.
- Moreover, two snow corridors of 300 meters and 150 meters would come up.
- The entire size of the undertaking is more than 18 kms.
Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari’s stated a few weeks ago that the work on the venture will begin quickly.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the base stone in May 2018. The project cost was estimated at INR 6800 crore, because it would be Asia’s longest bi-directional tunnel, connecting Kashmir to Ladakh.
The BRO has would enhance the street journey amenities to all commuters traveling from Srinagar to Leh/Kargil. As a part of this plan, a freeway tunnel can even assemble from Srinagar to Baltal. This tunnel street can also be handy to Amaranth Yatra pilgrims. Baltal base camp close to Kargil might be used for Amarnath yatra.
Mr. Ch. Subbaiah, Director, MEIL stated that “A two-lane street with bi-directional site visitors must assemble on the Zojila route, which referred to as a Single Tube tunnel. The street consists primarily of shafts in addition to portal buildings and excavated areas. This advanced venture must full in simply 72 months.”
The company had earlier canceled the bid of IRB Infrastructure. IL&FS Transportation because of the lowest bidder within the rebidding course.
The Cupboard on 3rd January 2018, had accredited the Zojila tunnel venture with Parallel Escape tunnel between Baltal and Minamarg on the Srinagar-Leh part of NH1.
Two snow corridors to be constructed with 300 meters and 150 meters. The overall size of those works is more than 18 kilometers. In the identical method, the Zojila tunnel in phase two is to be constructed.
It features a 16 km lengthy minimize and covers tunnel together with the above particulars relating to the tunnel. Airflow cavern, three shafts are additionally to be constructed. Two different shafts referred to as a Lengthy Tudinal Air flow System might be constructed.
This features a particular transport airflow system. It’s anticipated that essential circumstances like nowhere else could be encountered through the development of the Zojila tunnel in Ladakh.
Mr. Ch. Subbaiah, Director, MEIL stated that “Along with these, retaining partitions, breast partitions, gabion buildings, and dirt wall must be constructed by MEIL for a complete of about 10 kilometers.
Catch dams, air blast, safety partitions, and deflector dams would be constructed over a distance of about 6 kilometers with none danger of snowstorms.”
Read Project zojila tunnel in Ladakh
Read NDTV report of Zojila tunnel in Ladakh